Sunday, September 19, 2010

a button from 1786.


You know those days that seem to last forever?  The days where you glance at the clock every once in a while and realize that time has not moved.  You know, those long days. 

Long days are sometimes good; sometimes, they may even be wonderful—like when you spend the whole day in the company of love, and as every second passes you are holding on and wishing for more.  Those are good, long days.

Well, Thursday wasn’t that kind of a long day.

From the minute I woke up I realized that “one of those days” was waiting impatiently for me. 
After this realization, I began to search my mind for remedies to the day.  Using a handy search engine I was able to come across a unique establishment not far from where I live. 


Tucked away on Duncan Street, you can stumble upon The Sheerar Cultural Center, which is located across from the First Baptist Church.  The center itself was built way back in 1928 as the First Church of Christ, Scientist—the first of its kind this side of the Mississippi. 

For this adventure, I was able to persuade a couple of floor mates to accompany me.  Meet Emily and Evan.
They were entertained by the “tornado” for quite some time; just one of the many thrills The Sheerar Museum of Stillwater holds.
Walking into the historic building, we were immediately greeted and introduced to the first exhibit.  Buttons. 

Buttons of every color, shape and size.  There were hundreds.  Mrs. Sheerar collected them after the love of her life had to leave her side.  To pass the time she would take excursions to venture out and find rare and unique buttons.  The buttons displayed each have a distinct history, with the oldest dating back to 1786.

Once you have fully taken in the buttons, the tour continues down a ramp into the basement of the building where you are prompted to sign a guest book.

Then the tour begins.  Beginning in pre-European times, the Sheerar Museum guides you through Stillwater’s history with documents, artifacts and photographs. 

Passing through each decade, tourists are able to see the progression of Stillwater.  Included in most every exhibit is Oklahoma State University. 


Did you know that Old Central was built with $14,000ish?  Well, now you do.


As you walk past the exhibits you get a taste of life in Stillwater—the people, the culture and the way the outside world has had an effect on this small, rural town.



The museum ends time in 2000 and empties its tourists into a quaint gift shop.

This adventure was pleasant.  Who knew Stillwater had a museum of its history?  I didn’t.  Stumbling upon this time capsule was delightful.  I mean, if I am going to live in Stillwater I might as well know where it came from. 


History is fascinating.  People are wonderful.  And if you combine the two, you make for a splendid afternoon that breaks up “one of those days.”

In one week they will be opening up a new exhibit as a tribute to first responders in Stillwater.  We saw them working on the exhibit and it is sure to be lovely.  Also, it’s free.  So don’t try to pull the “I’m a poor college student” excuse. 

If you are intrigued, stop by for yourself.  Bring your camera, take pictures and enjoy viewing time seemingly stand pleasantly still.  

3 comments:

  1. This is cool. I didn't even know Stillwater had a museum like this.All the pictures are great, too. Can't wait to see what other places are hidden in Stillwater!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun way to spend an afternoon. I will definitely have to check out th museum. It may make me appreciate this little town a little more. Thanks for the tour!
    Lisa Watkins

    ReplyDelete
  3. First off... brilliant writing! And pictures! You are so very talented!!!

    Secondly, I really want to go explore where I live now! Thanks for the inspiration :D
    Love,
    Tasha

    ReplyDelete